Todd V. McMurtry, Member
Todd V. McMurtry represents individuals and businesses in complex litigation matters including business disputes, employment, land use, real estate, and construction in the Ohio and Kentucky courts. As well, Todd frequently represents cities and counties in Municipal Law matters. He also serves as a mediator for commercial disputes.
In addition to his work as a civil trial attorney and mediator, Todd was a staff executive for a non-profit corporation. He spent two years after law school in Washington, DC working for the Republican National Finance Committee where he advised the committee on election law compliance and performed political fundraising activities.
Todd has represented a number of the area's most significant business concerns in a variety of high-stakes disputes:
- Successfully sued company for breach of contract. This five day jury trial ended in an award of all damages sought.
- Successfully defended a national bank in a five day jury trial against allegations of violation of the UCC, fraud, aiding and abetting, and civil conspiracy.
- Successfully prosecuted claims by landowner against neighbor and defeated neighbor's efforts to commercially develop an adjoining parcel.
- Successfully represented approximately 30 Kentucky businesses in the multi-million dollar failure of a Kentucky based group self-insurance fund.
- Managed litigation across the United States for a national non-profit organization. Cases managed ranged from significant personal injury to breach of contract claims.
- Represented, as co-counsel, the family of a deceased college student and obtained a favorable verdict at trial.
- Represented property owner through trial in claim for fraudulent misrepresentation and non-disclosure. Obtained judgment with award of punitive damages and attorney fees.
- Won five day medical malpractice jury trial for injured plaintiff.
Mr. McMurtry is an active member of the community. He currently serves as the President of the Northern Kentucky Bar Association. He is a board member for the Northern Kentucky Volunteer Lawyers. He served as the Secretary and Board Member for the Covington Latin School Board of Education. He has held volunteer board positions, including serving as the Board Chairman of Cardinal Hill Hospital of Northern Kentucky, member of the Covington Latin High School Alumni Board, its Annual Campaign Chairman, and Finance Chair of the Kenton County Republican Party. He resides in Covington with his wife and has three adult children.
- Administrative Law
- Business and Tax Law
- Business Litigation
- Construction Law
- Government Law
Admitted to Practice
- Commonwealth of Kentucky
- State of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Northern Districts of Ohio
- American Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Northern Kentucky Bar Association
- Salmon P. Chase Inn of Court
- Harvard Mediation Institute
- J.D., Salmon P. Chase College of Law
- B.A., Centre College, Danville, Kentucky
- Covington Latin School
- Formerly Co-author, Vols. 6 and 7, Kentucky Practice, Rules of Civil Procedure Annotated, 6th Ed. (Thomson/West 2005).
Awards & Honors
- Rated a "Superlawyer" in Ohio (2003) and Kentucky (2007, 2012-2016) (Featured in Super Lawyers Magazine, 2015.)
- Understanding Open Meetings Law in Kenucky (2014)
- Managing Construction Projects, Lorman Educational Services (2007 and 2008)
- E-Discovery Issues in Construction, Barnes Dennig & Co. (2007)
- Detecting and Preventing Corporate Fraud and Theft (2003)
- Effective Business Writing in the Context of Litigation (2002)
- Avoiding the Catastrophic Lawsuit, Fraternal Law Conference (2001)