Healthcare and Business law attorney with a reputation for success
Michael E. DeFrank has been practicing law for over 30 years. Michael’s practice is concentrated in healthcare and corporate law. He regularly advises clients on regulatory and compliance matters, including the Stark Law and fraud and abuse issues; purchases, sales and mergers of physician practices; joint venture arrangements; employment and recruitment agreements; corporate governance; and general contract and business matters. Michael also represents closely held companies in various matters, including formation, buy-sell agreements, shareholder disputes and mergers and acquisitions.
- Represented numerous physician groups in the sale of their practice to hospitals and private equity investors, including groups in the following specialties: cardiology, gastroenterology, orthopaedics, general surgery, vascular surgery, obstetric & gynecology, pulmonary, infectious disease, urology, primary care, dermatology, wound care, oncology, radiation therapy, ophthalmology and general internal medicine.
- Worked on numerous joint ventures in the healthcare area, including ventures for surgery centers, imaging centers, dialysis centers, clinical laboratories and physical therapy.
- Worked on numerous mergers among physician groups, including groups in the following specialties: orthopaedics, urology, general & vascular surgeons, pathology, primary care, obstetrics & gynecology, ophthalmology and anesthesiology.
- Represented physician practices in connection with negotiating co-management agreements with hospital systems, including agreements that are part of overall transactions involving the sale of surgery centers and the formation of physician management groups among former owners of the surgery centers.
- Business and Tax Law
- Business Formations/Dissolutions
- Business Contracts
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Healthcare Law
Admitted to Practice
- State of Ohio, 1988
- Commonwealth of Kentucky, 1999
- AV® Preeminent ™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Order of the Coif
- J.D., cum laude, Villanova University, 1988
- B.S., Indiana University, 1984
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Northern Kentucky Bar Association
- Ohio Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Staff member, Villanova Law Review